Su A. Cutler - ASL/Deafness Related Classes and Information

In 1992, I started developing ASL and deafness related classes for offering here at KVCC with another individual, Lois Baldwin.  From two sections of ASL I in Fall 1992, we have expanded our offerings to include two years of study of ASL, some introduction to interpreting and several deafness related courses, and we now have four instructors.  

For a course assignment schedule of specific courses, click on the information at the top of this page or below.

The possibility of "degrees" in Sign Language Studies or Interpreter Education is always being discussed.  As more becomes clear on these issues, information will be posted here.  

As of DEC 2001, the Board of Trustees at KVCC approved the establishment of a Certificate of Achievement in ASL Studies.  For more information, check KVCC's online information on degrees or contact the Counseling Dept for more information.

ASL and Deafness Related Courses Taught at KVCC

KVCC - ASL Testing Out Possibilities/Procedures.

• Currently this option is available ONLY for the first year of ASL study (the KVCC equivalent of ASL I and ASL II).

• For our ASL I and II classes (the first year of study), we have been utilizing Learning American Sign Language, 2nd edition by Humphries & Padden published by Allyn and Bacon.  I highly recommend that interested individuals study the appropriate chapters as outlined below before considering a level to test on.

The test out procedures are as follows:

An individual must complete the final exam of ASL I with a 70% in order to "pass" into ASL II. For ASL II 70% on the final exam must be obtained in order to pass into ASL III.

The final exam (in either situation) involves two parts - a receptive half and an expressive half.

For the receptive half, you watch a videotaped final exam and complete it as instructed as if you had been a student in the class. ASL I takes vocabulary, grammar and cultural competency information from Units 1-12 of the above text. ASL II takes vocabulary, grammar and cultural competency information from Units 13-24. This portion takes about 75 minutes. Scheduling on this portion is relatively flexible, but must be completed between 8 and 430 M-F (during the week prior to the semester classes begin in the semester you're interested in taking a class in)....

For the expressive half, you come in and talk with me in ASL... and do a presentation on an assigned topic or topics. Once you and I have determined the best test out level for you, I'll arrange to send you the appropriate topic/s about a week prior to our meeting. Students in classes ONLY have a week to "prepare". This portion takes "performance time" of about 30 minutes. Scheduling on this portion is less flexible and must be arranged at a mutually "doable" time between you and myself.

To receive credit for a course that an individual successfully tests out of, monies must be paid to Kalamazoo Valley Community College.  After information has been received that an individual has successfully tested out of a class, please contact the Office of Prior Learning at KVCC to make arrangements.  The testing out procedure outlined above does not give an individual credit for a class.

For more information, contact myself, Su Cutler, ASL Coordinator.  Information Posted 7/12/02, updated 10/21/02, updated 5/23/08.

Other information which may be of interest... (click on the desired item if highlighted)

• Tutoring, contact the Learning Center at Texas Township Campus or Arcadia Common Campus.
  • Extensive Library collection at the Texas Township Campus or view what is available at Arcadia Commons Campus.
  • Student organization/club:  as of 3/2000 currently inactive.  Individuals interested in forming a student club related to signing or deafness could e-mail  Su Cutler.

ASL & ASL Classes "nearby" Links or additional information

Interpreter Training Programs (ITP) or Interpreter Education (IE) "nearby"

Interpreter Referral Assistance

• Deaf etc, c/o Grand Rapids Center for Independent Living, 3600 Camelot Dr., SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan  49546 (as of 10/02 they've moved);  email:  deafetc@yahoo.com
  • DeafLink, as of 2001 were housed in Goodwill Industries building in Battle Creek, Michigan.
  • Deaf Services Center, 1400 Leonard NE, Grand Rapids, MI  49505; (616) 774-0633 Voice; (616) 222-1629 TTY; (616) 774-0771 Fax
  • Division on Deafness (DOD... as of 2003 DODHH... Division on Deaf and Hard of Hearing?), Lansing, Michigan (they do much more than interpreter referral): (also see contact info above) visit them at http://www.mfia.state.mi.us/mcdc/DOD.htm

Resources

• ASLTA (American Sign Language Teachers Association) , MI-ASLTA (as of  8/30/2000 contact Stevie Naeyaert  of Mott Community College @ TTY (810) 762-0272 or Email snaeyaert@mcc.edu  
  • Division on Deafness, Lansing, Michigan (lots of good information, including on interpreting training programs and the state of Michigan QA "Quality Assurance" testing:  ( also see contact info above)  visit them at http://www.mfia.state.mi.us/mcdc/Dodfaq.htm#int
  • RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf), MIRID (Michigan Chapter of RID) (see contact info above) , LaMIRID, MIRID Region IV (Battle Creek/Kalamazoo/Southwest Michigan Area)
  • "Culture to Culture" - Tri-County Deaf Advocacy - Deaf Community Links.  This links page is intended to provide you with more information about topics of interest to the Michigan Deaf community. This page will be constantly updated as we learn of useful links.  http://www.deafvision.net/culture/links.htm 

Back Home

last updated 01/07/10